Low Carb Snickerdoodles are a favorite weekend treat at our house. The crunch coating of cinnamon and Swerve that surrounds the cookie is sooo good. The fact that these cookies are just 2.2 total carbs or just 1.1 net carbs per cookie makes them a low carbers dessert bargain dream.
I was surprised how easily this recipe came together. It didn't take long to come up with a mixture that makes a cookie that, to my husband and I, is very similar to the real deal. As you know it's not ofteneasy to replace one's favorite comfort foods.
I like that this recipe makes a small batch. I've always felt that Snickerdoodles are best freshly baked.
If you wish you can, after rolling them in sugar, place the cookie balls in a sealed freezer container and just bake up a few at a time and keep the rest frozen for later use.
you will note that i've omitted the baking powder that would be in the traditional recipe. If you like your snickerdoodles more puffy and cake-like then add 1/2 tsp. Baking powder to the dry ingredients.
Howerever, if you want a flatter, slightly chewy Low Carb Snickerdoodle then make the recipe as written and do the following: When the cookies are removed from the oven, tap the pan on the counter. This will help the cookies have a dense and slightly chewy texture, -Enjoy! Laura
- 1½ cups Almond flour
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ½ cup + 2 Tbl. Swerve sweetemer* (*Or ¼ cup each of Swerve and Splenda)
- 6 Tbl. Softened butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cookie sheets with baking parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the almond flour, salt, and sweetener.
- Mix in the butter, egg and vanilla.
- The dough will seem slightly dry but hold together when rolled into balls.
- Roll the dough into 18 balls ( The size of a whole walnut - about 1 tablespoon each.)
- Mix remaining 2 Tbl sweetener and ½ tsp in a small bowl and roll cookie balls in the cinnamon mixture.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, till edges are set, the center should be soft but not shiny.