Yesterday was day three of being back on the low carb wagon for me.* And of course I'm craving something crunchy, crispy, zesty, flavorful... you know; GOOD!
After poking around Pinterest for a bit I found a recipe called 'Jack Snacks' and it looked like it just might do the trick. It takes just cheese and jalepeno pepper slices. Sadly I discovered just a couple pepper slices floating in a jar in my fridge. What to do?
The light bulb went on and Keto Doritos were about to be made in my kitchen, right here, right now. I grabbed the bottle of taco seasoning out of the spice cupboard and discovered that it contained 4 carbs a teaspoon. hmm... Then I snatched up a lime and went to work.
Prep time and oven time were about 15 minutes total time. I ended up using just 1/2 tsp. of taco seasoning and 1 tbl lime juice -- 3 carbs, yay! Tracy (my DH) and I absolutely loved them. We dubbed them 'Dorketos'... but ended up laughing because, well, of the 'dork' part. Oh well, maybe since we are geeky game designers and fantasy authors, it's somewhat suitable. 🙂
In the end they didn't last very long, but turned out to be quite hearty and surprisingly satisfying. Enjoy! Laura
Get it Here | Make it at Home:
Keto Doritos Safe Cheat-oh ~ Dorketos ~
Dorketos: An easy and safe cheat recipe for low carbers created by geeky game designers.
Author: Laura Hickman
Recipe type: Appetiser
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 1 Tbl. fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp taco seasoning
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover large baking sheet in baking parchment.
- In a small bowl toss cheese with taco seasoning and lime juice.
- Make small mounds of cheese using a tablespoon on baking sheet keeping them about 2" apart. (Mounds will spread as they bake and crisp.)
- Bake 10-12 minutes, till Dorketos are golden brown - brown. Do not under cook or they won't be crunchy.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool and 'crisp up'. Slide chips onto a paper towel to absorb the grease on the bottom.
- Serve when completely cool.
Microwave instructions. Place mounds on a piece of parchment in the microwave. microwave them in 15 second intervals until they are browned but not burned. Allow to completely before serving.
Serving size: 1 chip Calories: 25 Carbohydrates: 0.4
*Day three is usually the worst for me... I'm feeling the detox because I'm eating lots of healthy food. (Ironic isn't it?) I've cut way back on diet pop and sparingly replaced it with naturally flavored seltzer water. (And good ole' plain water.) Oh and I've seen results on the scale already, which surprised me because that usually takes awhile. 🙂
Thanks & Inspirations: