I mean, I've had cabbage before....you know, coleslaw or with potatoes and corned beef on St. Patties .
The Cabbage Steaks recipe has vaulted cabbage into a whole new food realm for me. (Not that one should 'sling the slaw'. Ahem.)
It was so easy. I sliced the cabbage into 1 inch wide 'steaks'. I brushed the cabbage with some vinegar and oil dressing and then roasted it in the oven or grilled it on the grill. It is delicious both ways.
These 'steaks' were tasty, satisfying and filling. I've often found it tough to truly enjoy a vegan meal, but this was just great. I served it with tomato slices and brown rice on the side. I made it as one of the meals on the Dr OZ detox my husband and I were doing. It is super simple. See it here. (We are doing the Dr OZ thing once in the month now until convention season is over. It's too hard to diet on a business trip. 🙁 )
So did I mention that these were good? The zippy dressing along with the salt and the caramelized edges of the cabbage leaves combined into something at once sophisticated and yet simple. I would be willing to serve it to company. (Oooh, with the Sanpete Marinated Chicken it would be awesome good.) Enjoy! Laura
Cabbage Steaks Recipe Grilled or Baked
Cabbage steaks are delicious either baked or grilled.
Author: Laura Hickman
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 head of cabbage, washed.
- Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing **
- Coarse sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 3 T. bacon bits (optional)
- Note: Choose your cooking method. Cabbage can be wrapped in foil for the oven or the grill. It can also be placed on a greased baking sheet for oven or a grill pan for grill.
- Preheat oven to 400˚ or grill on medium heat.
- Cut cabbage into 1″ thick slices.
- Brush cabbage with Vinegar and Oil dressing.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In oven: for baking on pan: bake for 25 minutes, flipping once, if desired. In foil; place packets on cookie sheet and bake 25 mins. or till fork tender.
- On the grill: Place steaks on greased grill pan over medium heat. Close grill lid and check after 10 mins. Carefully flip steaks, and grill another 10-15 mins till caramelized and fork tender. In foil: place packets directly on grill, close lid. After 10 mins, rearrange packets to prevent scorching or lower heat if needed. Close lid and continue grilling 10-15 mins. More.
- ** I used Newman’s Own brand, but your favorite oil based Italian dressing should work well.