I love having low carb muffins at breakfast; It's like having a healthy dessert first thing in the morning. This low carb Triple Berry Muffin recipe truly fits the bill.
The flavor of these Triple Berry Muffins is amazing. The mixture of the subtle almond flavor (from the almond flour) and the berries combine to taste like a Linzer tart - one of my favorite summertime desserts.
I decided to give this a try because I'd just bought a huge bag of frozen berries from Costco so we could make the Berry Healthy Smoothie recipe which we enjoy when the weather begins to warm up The Smoothie isn't as low carb as most things I make, but it never fails to get me through the morning and is perfect for sipping from a 'commuter' cup for a breakfast on-the-go.
Anyway, having this big bag of luscious berry mix in the freezer sparked my imagination. (I like to have something other than eggs in my breakfast repertoire, don't you?)
When you stir these up the batter will be quite thick, but you don't need to add extra water. The berries, which you will stir into the batter while they are still frozen, are quite moist and the thick batter helps absorb their moisture (and flavor!).
They don't take long to make, but they can be made the day before you need them and stored in a sealed container. In fact, I thought they were even better the second day. At 3 net carbs a muffin, they are bound to become a breakfast favorite. Enjoy! -- Laura
- 2 cup Almond flour
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest (opt.)
- ⅓ cup Swerve (or other pourable 0 calorie sweetener)
- 2 large Egg, Whole
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbl water
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- 1 cup Three Berry mix (frozen)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare muffin tin with liners and spray with vegetable oil spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients; almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir lemon zest (opt.) to dry ingredients.
- Stir in eggs, sour cream, water and vanilla to dry mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Gently stir in frozen berries to evenly distribute through batter. Batter is very thick.
- Spoon into prepared muffin liners.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.